Glimstedt is one of Sweden’s oldest law firms. The firm was founded by Ivar Glimstedt, a lawyer who worked in Gothenburg from 1923. On January 3rd, 1935, he registered the law firm Ivar Glimstedt.
A skillful lawyer with a strong sense of justice
Ivar Glimstedt graduated from Stockholm University, completed his legal training and subsequently worked at Gothenburg City Court. He was also a member of the Central Board of The Swedish Bar Association and chairman of the Bar Association’s supervisory board for the West of Sweden, as well as chairman of the Gothenburg Law Society. Ivar Glimstedt primarily worked as a defence lawyer, and as such became well-known beyond Gothenburg; he often featured in the press thanks to his balanced judgment, thorough knowledge and eloquence. He was an experienced lawyer and a man with a strong sense of justice. With his unwavering loyalty to clients, his compassion and humility, he personified the image of a trustworthy lawyer; he never compromised in matters concerning a client’s best interests. To him, the law should serve everyone, regardless of background or origin. Ivar Glimstedt had the ability to focus on the significant facts and discard anything immaterial. His contributions were instrumental in creating the role of the lawyer as we know it today.
An expanding company
From the second half of the 1990s, Glimstedt has expanded by merging with other well known Swedish law firms. Glimstedt now has 11 offices in Sweden. From 1997 onwards we have also established offices in the Baltic States.
- 1935 Ivar Glimstedt registers the firm.
- 1997 Several leading, regional law firms merges under the name Glimstedt. They are:
- Jernek Advokatbyrå, established 1961, Örebro.
- Helsingborg office, established recently.
- Advokatbolaget Kalmar Juridiska Byrå, established 1931, Kalmar
- Advokaterna i Jönköping AB, established 1991.
- Bernotas & Dominas Glimstedt, established recently, Vilnius
- 1998 Axel Hemmars Advokatbyrå, established 1935, becomes Glimstedt Norrköping.
- 2001 Glimsted office in Riga is established
- 2004 Glimstedt office in Tallinn is established
- 2010 Hamilton Advokatbyrå becomes Glimstedt Växjö.